A former Waymo driver has been accused of intentionally causing a collision with one of the company’s self-driving vans
- A former Waymo driver was arrested in Arizona on Wednesday and accused of intentionally inflicting a crash with one of many firm’s self-driving minivans.
- A video taken by the van, which was being operated manually on the time, confirmed a automotive swerve in entrance of it and brake abruptly.
- Tempe police mentioned Tang was charged with counts of aggravated assault, prison injury, reckless driving, and endangerment.
- Waymo described Tang as a “disgruntled” former car operator who was let go final 12 months after failing to satisfy its security requirements.
- Go to Enterprise Insider’s homepage for extra tales.
An ex-Waymo driver was arrested in Arizona on Wednesday after police mentioned he deliberately triggered a crash with one of many firm’s self-driving minivans final month.
Tempe police mentioned Raymond Tang, 31, “focused” two Waymo vans, recklessly driving his Mazda round them earlier than braking abruptly in entrance of 1, inflicting it to rear-end his car.
Video taken by a dashboard digital camera on Waymo the van, which was being operated by a driver in guide mode on the time, reveals the Mazda swerve in entrance earlier than rapidly coming to a full cease in entrance of it, at which level the automobiles collided.
Tang has been charged on counts of aggravated assault, prison injury, reckless driving, and endangerment, in response to a police spokesperson.
Waymo described Tang as a “disgruntled former Genesis10 car operator whose task with Waymo ended almost a 12 months in the past when he failed to satisfy the excessive security requirements,” and mentioned that Tang had been arrested beforehand on “misdemeanor costs for disorderly conduct and prison injury” for the same incident final November.
Waymo depends on contractors like Genesis10, which offers drivers for its automobiles. The Verge reported that some have complained about their advantages being slashed as the results of current modifications to their employment standing.
Waymo additionally mentioned the motive force of the van concerned within the accident was initially taken to the hospital after reporting neck ache, however has since been launched with minor accidents.